Author Topic: Juniper Newbee  (Read 4949 times)

gentleman_82

• View Profile
Juniper Newbee
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:56:50 pm »
Hello guys,

I'm new to the Juniper networks. I saw a couple of juniper equipment a the colocation that I have my systems hosted and I started being curious. Can you guys help me in indicating from where to start and how I should start.

I'm interested in buying equipment as well for a test lab so for used equipment where is the best place to search (except ebay).

I've been through the Juniper website and I'm familiar with the certificates.

Thanks,

Sotiris

applexpanther

Re: Juniper Newbee
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 08:14:49 am »
I'm not sure which particular Juniper line of products youre interested in. For the Firewall line, I started by buying a netscreen 5gt for a few hundred bucks as my firewall for my house to test. Also the book by Rob Cameron or the Juniper documentation(these are probably better just not as handy) are really helpful.  A solid grasp of networking helps prior to learning these firewalls.

gentleman_82

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:11:47 pm »
I'm interested in both routing and security.

screenie.

• Global Moderator
  • Atomic Playboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 03:18:06 pm »
OK there are the oreily books, very readable. But also for a quick start www.juniper.net/techpubs is a good idea. The best start is to attend in a course I conduct, but that's in the netherlands  :-D
Regards, Screenie
------------------------
JNSS, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP, JNCI

gentleman_82

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:35:31 am »
Thanks for that

yuvi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:03:28 am »
please send

frogmanclay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:37 am »
http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/books.html

download a couple books for free from Juniper's website.  JNCIS one is the best.  The other really good one that you have to buy is "JUNOS Enterprise Routing".

3 different operating systems -

ScreenOS
JUNOS
JUNOS-ES

JUNOS-ES will replace screenOS in a few years.  JUNOS-ES is flow based, JUNOS is packet based.  JUNOS-ES runs on srx and J-series, JUNOS runs on everything else.  You can run JUNOS on the J's instead of JUNOS-ES if you want to.

low end srx is your best bet for JUNOS-ES experience, and a J2320 with JUNOS 9.3 loaded on it is your best bet for JUNOS experience.  Both for the lowest cost.  After 9.3 only JUNOS-ES is available for the J-series.

Hope this helps,
Clay

applexpanther

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 01:47:51 pm »
Nooo... i hope they dont get rid of screenos anytime soon.  I just spent a good chunk of life learning it! 

ike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 02:58:43 am »
http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/certification/books.html

download a couple books for free from Juniper's website.  JNCIS one is the best.  The other really good one that you have to buy is "JUNOS Enterprise Routing".

3 different operating systems -

ScreenOS
JUNOS
JUNOS-ES

JUNOS-ES will replace screenOS in a few years.  JUNOS-ES is flow based, JUNOS is packet based.  JUNOS-ES runs on srx and J-series, JUNOS runs on everything else.  You can run JUNOS on the J's instead of JUNOS-ES if you want to.

low end srx is your best bet for JUNOS-ES experience, and a J2320 with JUNOS 9.3 loaded on it is your best bet for JUNOS experience.  Both for the lowest cost.  After 9.3 only JUNOS-ES is available for the J-series.

Hope this helps,
Clay

When purchasing the SSG  models, the firmware being used is ScreenOS. Do you recommend skipping ScreenOS and implement JunOS?