Author Topic: JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe and JuniperSetupSP1.cab  (Read 23523 times)

spacyfreak

• View Profile
JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe and JuniperSetupSP1.cab
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
 :mrgreen:

JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe is an application, which has to be installed as local Administrator on the client. The application then manages the installation and update of all other components (hostchecker, network connect etc).

But - when it is installed, and the user logs in as user with restricted rights, why then the ActiveX Control or Applet JuniperServiceSP1 appears on the login website?
The applet appears ALLWAYS, and the user with restricted rights can not install it.
A Dilemma!

As i know this applet is only needed when JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe is NOT installed on the client.

How do you handle this item?

spacyfreak

• View Profile
Re: JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe and JuniperSetupSP1.cab
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:51:29 pm »
Yo, after testing and trying out for hours, i thing i have got it...

When JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe is installed, nothing else is needed, even if the user has restricted rights on the pc.
All other components will be installed automatically.

The JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe will install the same components, which are in the JuniperSetupSP1.cab into the directory C:\Windows \Downloaded Program Files, even if the applet or activex control is not installed by the user.

So "normally" the ActiveX or Applet will not appear anymore, when JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe is installed.
IF IT STILL APPEARS, the user has to install them once with local administrative rights, and it will not appear again.

But if the user does not install the activex control, that does not matter to the functionality. When user is logged on with restriced rights, and JuniperSetupServiceInstalller has been installed before with local adm. rights, everything is fine, and the user has not to install anything more.

JUST JAVA RE is needed, but ONLY when the user uses Firefox.

I wish they bring out a VPN Client which does work without any browser (thats maybe the only one - BUT BIG - advantage of Avantails SSL VPN Solution).

Juniper Solution is to much depending on compatible webbrowser and java engine.

spacyfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:22:07 pm »
But one thing i ask myself..

wouldnt it be a good concept, that - when a user FIRST time connects to IVE Website, and installs the ActiveX or Java Applet, why this applet does not automatically download and install JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe, so the user has done it for all times, and all future softwae will get automatically to the pc, though he is logged on as restricted user?

Why do i have to install JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe manually?
Hm?

wedge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:31:52 am »
I am not sure if this helps, BUT... These are applications being installed, not activeX or java applets. ActiveX and Java are used for delivery/transport only. Maybe that is why you have to keep downloading the files and need admin rights to install.

spacyfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:26:08 pm »
I know this ActiveX is doing nothing else but downloading the other applications (e.g. hostchecker).

But if the ActiveX Control or Applet is able to download and install Hostchecker - why then it is not possible to download and install JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe via this ActiveX or Applet?

Then the user would not need to install JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe manually.

Baldrick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 05:39:12 am »
I wish they bring out a VPN Client which does work without any browser (thats maybe the only one - BUT BIG - advantage of Avantails SSL VPN Solution).

From both testing & in the SSLVPN course you can get both NetConnect and SAM to work without a browser.

(NetConnect opens a sort of browser window. SAM you can even script)

At first our desktop support team wanted to tell everyone to just connect via the NetConnect shortcut. Then in practice it became easier just to tell people to log onto the SA via the webpage.

Balders

spacyfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:17:58 pm »
Yo, but the design of network connect is so that it "stucks" to a web-browser.
The network connect client does not do any user authentication.
All the authentication (Username / Password) is transmitted via SSL to the website and AFTER the user credentials are proved, nc does start the tunnel.

So i think with THIS design there is no chance to get nc running without a webbrowser.
Only nclauncher can do this - but nclauncher does not work together with hostchecker as i know, and hostchecker depends again on the webbrowser...

But as EACH and EVERY user has a webbrowser, this problem is not too big.
The problem is, when the users do "stinky" configuration on their webbrowser security settings and disable javascript, or use a not supported webbrowser, or the use a browser that is to new, or they dont know how to install java, or or or.

To many dependencies when everything is sticked to the browser.

But anyway - i love this secure access machines, they simply ROCK.

rdit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:15:17 am »
I know this ActiveX is doing nothing else but downloading the other applications (e.g. hostchecker).

But if the ActiveX Control or Applet is able to download and install Hostchecker - why then it is not possible to download and install JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe via this ActiveX or Applet?

Then the user would not need to install JuniperSetupServiceInstaller.exe manually.

thats not possible, cause the installerservice has to be installed as ADMIN. if you are not a previleged user, it brings you nothing if installerservice is getting downloaded automatically...cause you have no rights to install it. and if its not getting installed, it cant help the other applications (HC&NC) to be installed.

jr94

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:40:20 am »
Hi all,

I have quite a big problem with that JuniperSetupInstallerServices. My customer is having laptops with very restrictives rigths (users have no rights on "c:/Program Files", for example). Here is what I have done:
 - I have opened a user session.
 - I have installed the JuniperSetupInstallerServices.exe with an admin account (everything seems to be ok).
 - I have tried to install the NC client, and I receive the message that I need the admin priviledges to do so.

I have also tried to add admin rigths on the followings folders: "c:/Program Files/Juniper Networks" and "c:/Document and settings/All Users/Application Data/Juniper Networks", and also on the "HKLM/Software/Juniper Networks" key, with no succes.

Does anyone knows what I need to execute that installation?

jr94

rdit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 05:06:47 am »
have you installed that activex applet aswell as admin? that could cause the problem!

jr94

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:18:23 pm »
I did not do that. Where can I find the activeX? In the installer menus?