Author Topic: Forum updates  (Read 3485 times)

signal15

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • JuniperForum.com
Forum updates
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:52:07 pm »
I did some updates:

• removed the several thousand spam messages that we were bombarded with, and deleted all of the associated accounts.
  • added reCAPTCHA support, so hopefully this will keep the bots from registering and posting.
  • consolidated all of the ScreenOS related boards into the Netscreen/SSG/ISG board.  There were just too many boards going on, and I think it will make discussion a bit easier.
  • updated the Juniper logo in the top right
  • did some various renaming and changing of board descriptions

I also updated the Marketplace board description to explicitly forbid commercial postings for free.  I'm paying for the hardware and hosting out of pocket, and advertising isn't covering everything.  If you're making money selling here, then throw a few schillings our way.  I need a new server to host this on, as the one that it's on now is an *old* IBM server with a failed disk in it (yes, I do regular backups).  If anyone has a decent server laying around doing nothing, I'd be happy to pay for shipping and get it out of there. 

Also, if any regular posters/users are interested in having moderator privs to delete spam and such, PM me.  I don't always have time to log into the site on a regular basis and check things out.

Personally, I still think there are more boards than what I would like.  If anyone has any suggestions on consolidating more of them or reordering them more logically, then I'm all ears.

signal15

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • JuniperForum.com
Re: Forum updates
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »
I moved all of the posts from the "Feature Request" and "Config Examples and Tutorials" boards into the product specific boards and then deleted the old boards. 

Those things were a mess, and a terrible idea.  They were filled with questions, which wasn't the original intent.  It made no sense to keep them around.

hairybiddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:52:41 pm »
Great work cleaning up and thanks for the new mods stepping up..

just one request could you turn on the "report post to moderator" or "flag as spam" features..  then if we see spam we can alert the mods.

there is some here already
http://www.juniperforum.com/index.php/topic,10673.0.html

unfortunately the captcha doesn't stop them all, but its a really good start..

aweck

• View Profile
    • HIC Networks
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:06:41 pm »
Nice work cleaning up the spam.  I'm glad to be back at this forum.
JNCIE-ER #63, JNCIE-M #705, JNCIE-SEC, JNCIS-FWV, JNCIS-SSL
http://www.hicnetworks.com/

goojopa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:32:45 am »
I agree, nice work cleaning up the spam. I appreciate your efforts, it makes this forum usable again. Thanks!