Author Topic: this is how to fix Passthrough Proxy 404 errors with IE6.  (Read 3004 times)

hanthony

• View Profile
this is how to fix Passthrough Proxy 404 errors with IE6.
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:37:31 pm »
Greetings all,

I ran into a situation where I've had a lot of issues with the SA's core access with IBM's Lotus iNotes, (DWA).  Using Pass-Through Proxy under 'Selective Re-writing' fixed a lot of the errors and improved performance a great deal.

The situation was that the user would authentication to the main login server but the redirect failed and presented a 404 error.  Policy Traces, DSrecords,, and TCP dump's all showed the same thing.  The response from the authentication server, server1, sent the proper location (redirection), but the client still sent the mail, (inbox), request to server1 instead of redirecting to server2, the actual mail server.

Microsoft has a KB article and patch on the issue.  I hope this helps someone.

The patch that this Microsoft KB article references worked.  We believe that there are other patches that supersede this one but the issues has been identified.

===========================================
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843518/en-us
"The host header is not updated to reflect the new port number in Internet Explorer when you redirect HTTP requests that contain a port number"

SYMPTOMS
   When you redirect HTTP requests that contain a port number, you notice that the redirected host header is not updated to reflect the new port number in Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.
CAUSE
   This problem occurs because Internet Explorer 6 is not RFC-compliant for the host header.

RESOLUTION
   To resolve this problem, you must install the hotfix that is described in this article. Then you must configure the registry.
====================================================

MS05-025: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
View products that this article applies to.

Article ID
:
Last Review
:
November 7, 2005

843518 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843518/) The host header is not updated to reflect the new port number in Internet Explorer when you redirect HTTP requests that contain a port number.