Author Topic: Network Connect Error message  (Read 63012 times)

lboyd

• View Profile
Network Connect Error message
« on: April 17, 2006, 12:57:01 pm »
When my manager launches Network Connect he receives the following error message:

The secure gateway denied the conneciton request from this client
(nc.windows.app.23791)

Confirmed he is running Norton Internet Security Suite 2006. He is not running another VPN client on the machine.

I am running Norton Internet Security Suite 2005, however I am not having any problems launching Network Connect.

Has anyone seen this error message before?

-Lisa

RunCMD

• View Profile
Re: Network Connect Error message
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 02:03:07 pm »
Thoughts:  Have you confirmed that Norton Internet Security Suite 2006 is the problem?  Is it possible (or acceptable) for you to disable Norton temporarily, by stopping the services, to see if the Network Connect Client then functions properly?  Also, does a User Session Policy Trace of Network Connect Policies give any further clues?

lboyd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:25:56 pm »
I suggested he turn off his firewall. He is going to do so and see what happens.  Is there a known issue with various Internet Security Suites(i.e. Symantec, Trend-Micro, Zone Alarm, McAfee, etc.) and Network Connect?

I will post if turning off his firewall resolves the issue.

Thanks for the quick response
-Lisa

RunCMD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 08:27:07 am »
Quote from: lboyd
Is there a known issue with various Internet Security Suites(i.e. Symantec, Trend-Micro, Zone Alarm, McAfee, etc.) and Network Connect?

I'm not sure if any of these products interefer with Network Connect, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.  We use McAfee AV without problems.  I haven't had issues with these types of products and Network Connect (yet), but I did encounter a situtation where Norton AV's pop-up blocker was killing the JSAM (a.k.a. Client Applications) whenever the user would try to start it up.

tschehl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:36:27 am »
Any word on whether or not something worked?  I've got a few users getting the same error message.  One worked after removing the network connect piece from "add/remove programs" and letting it download new.. that's not working for the other.

revaudi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:15:54 pm »
If disabling the suite doesn't work, check to see if the individual is using a wireless connection (and running XP SP2).  If they have enabled the wireless, ensure the personal firewall isn't enabled.
This message is consistant with users I had in the above scenario.

jkremsky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 12:34:12 pm »
I have tried to follwo the thread for the VPN conflict with the error message 'nc.windows.app.23791' but I have not seen a solution.  Can anyone help?  Like others I am running Windows XP that came configured with Norton Internet Security (that I can't seem ti disable).

frent16

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 01:51:06 pm »
Some times even if you disable the firewall, it doesn't stop running.  An easy way to disable it is by stopping the services that are associated with the brand of firewall.  If you right click on My Computer and go to manage, then down to the services you should see the services that can be manually stopped.

steinarj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 11:13:43 am »
I had same problem today after playing around with connection profiles and proxy settings.
Setting it back to NoProxy saved me...
:-)

alan

• View Profile
    • paleale
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:55:29 pm »
Upgrade! I believe this is resolved in 5.3R8 or 5.3R9. This one drove me crazy too.
Let us know...

spacyfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 04:18:12 am »
Maybe you simply did forget something in configuration.
Check the Guidance button after you login as admin and follow the instructions.
I had the same error before some minutes, and i simply did forget to configure Authentication Policy under User Realm.

:mrgreen:

jkremsky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 09:46:51 am »
My problem was solved by turning off Norton Firewall.  While I understand the purpose of firewall and its value in protecting  my PC, shouldn't the program have enough flexibility to prompt me if I relaly want to connect with a particular site?  Wven if it asks two or three times to be sure?

tamolja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 12:45:26 am »
I use Norton Internet Security 2006 at home and my solution to the problem was that I had to allow my personal Norton firewall to allow the services that are used for VPN to communicate with internet!

Do you have Norton Internet Security 2006 or any other Firewall installed on your computer?

If you do please add the program: dsNcService.exe that you will find under C:\Program Files\Juniper Networks\Common Files\  to your allowed applications that can access internet!

junipoint

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 02:35:24 am »
if you use host-checker, make sure you allow dsHostChecker.exe to communicate out through your personal firewall or your sessions might get terminated every 30 minutes.

cmotley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 03:11:05 pm »
I'm having the same error come up on a client's machine. Started randomly about 5 days ago (3 weeks into eval use). Client deleted NC policy and re-created and it fixed for a day or two. Getting the same error - nc.windows.app.23791 on every PC that tries to log into the box. Found that the issue went away when I used IP Pools instead of DHCP server.

Any ideas??

alan

• View Profile
    • paleale
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 04:31:05 pm »
What code are you running? And yes, do not use DHCP server, it's broken.
The official response to the 23791 error is:

In summary:
dsNcService.exe - Requires full access to 127.0.0.1 and access to the IVE IP.
dsNetworkConnect.exe - Requires full access to 127.0.0.1

If the client doesn't have access to these you'll get the 23791 error (and 23792).
There's a 5.3R6.1 release that does doc these errors but the doc is useless, y'know, "contact your system admin

cmotley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 04:44:25 pm »
version = 5.4R1

alan

• View Profile
    • paleale
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 07:09:21 pm »
Is there any chance something on the client is blocking access? Firewall?
I sure like to see if this is consistent with 5.3R8 or R9.

spacyfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 10:06:22 pm »
try a troubleshooting session with "Policy Tracing". I ´sometimes get error messages, when something is not configured properly.

cmotley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 11:00:13 pm »
I've got nothing running on my machine when I test it out for the client, and it does give the same error. When I did a policy trace on just the NC elements, the system got to this point:

"info - [my.ip.address] - main\cmotley (RealmName) [Role] - date/time - IP addresses obtained for the current session are"

And there was nothing following the word 'are'. Their network engineer has assured me that the DHCP server is in working order config-wise. Can anyone think of something that could be breaking down between the IVE and the server or anything at all??

Thx a ton for the help thus far.

-Chris