Author Topic: integrate netscreen NS5GT-W with dsl router (future uverse maybe)  (Read 2281 times)

j1mw3b

• View Profile
I currently use my Netscreen NS5GT with a Westell 347W (ATT) in bridged ethernet mode with DSL and all works well.

But.... I may have to move to Uverse soon plus, sometimes my dsl goes out of sync and I would like to see the dsl diagnostics on the Westell but can't see because in bridged ethernet mode.

Trying to figure out how to integrate the NS5GT with Westell - NOT in bridged ethernet.
The Westell would have to do PPPOE instead of the Netscreen.
Netscreen would do DHCP serving as it does not.

What I don't know is how the Netscreen would get it's DNS servers ( guess I could just hard-code the Google DNS 8.8.8.8, etc. 

issues:

Will the Netscreen become the default router for it's dhcp clients? 
And supply the DNS server addresses?
I think I would require placing the Netscreen in the DMZ (same external address as the Westell got from PPPOE), but the Westell doesn't seem to want to let me do this.

Has anyone done this, not particularly worried so much about Westell but trying to fiigure it out before I have to move to Uverse.

And no I don't want to use the Uverse router as my primary router; i.e. discard the Netscreen.

Thanks,

Jim

PS has this whole forum been hijacked by spammers?  Looks like it.